SC - Hebrew References

Mon Jun 8 13:41:12 PDT 1998

Pardon me, Avicenna (980-1037) is the Persian physician and philosopher Ibn
Sina who wrote the Canon of Medicine.  He is also known for his
interpretation of Aristotle.  He was a Mohammedan.  I believe he may have
been a Sufi from his connection with coffee.  If I remember correctly, he
was a resident of Isfahan in Persia.  He almost certainly was conversant
with Farsi, Arabic, Greek and Latin, and probably with Hebrew.

Moses ben Maimon (1135-1204) is obviously not a contemporary of Avicenna,
but as a physician and an Aristotlean scholar, the work of Avicenna was
certainly known to him.  His chief works are the Mishneh Torah and the Guide
to the Perplexed.

Bear