SC - Sigh. (was: shish kebabs)

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Jun 12 15:22:46 PDT 1998

Well, I researched (thank you, Cariadoc's Miscellany, etc.) and put together an Islamicish period dinner and luncheon buffet in order to accompany the shish kebabs that the particular person in my group requested.  When I posted the menu to the group mailing list and mentioned someone was bringing pita bread, she got all excited and "decided" that we should have salad-stuffed pitas for lunch.

I explained to her that I didn't think that lettuce was a common Middle Eastern food.  She of course replied, "Well, we can just keep the lettuce in the back.  It doesn't have to go out on the buffet."

Folks, I'm going to be firm with her this time -- but I need your help.  I HAVE done as much research on this as I can do with my limited time and materials; but I need someone to definitively state (so that I can print it out and SHOW her) whether or not lettuce was eaten in the Islamic cultures, and what was the closest they ever came to the modern, mundane, falafel-style "pita salad."

I don't like reverse documentation any more than the rest of y'all do and I know this isn't the right way to be doing things.  But if she won't take MY word for it, I can only hope she will take Ras' or Cariadoc's or someone else's who knows this culture inside and out...

Thanks in advance.  You may email me privately, if you wish, to help reduce list fluff...

	- kat