SC - Pennsic Menu -- LONG

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 13 21:46:56 PDT 1998

Salut!
The following is MOST of a two week non-cooler, Period menu for pennsic.
Guests are always welcome, but let me know in advance if possible so I can
make more...  Many thanks to his Grace and Bear for answering many
questions that often ran in circles.  Of course, thanks as well to those
of you who supplied the books I worked out of.  The breakfast menu is
short and will be added to, since on my first run through I hadn't come up
with ways to take non-refrigerated eggs.  I would love ANY thoughts and
comments on the menu.

Cu dragoste,
Bogdan din Brasov
Bucatar-sef, Barony of Wurm Wald

- -----
Pennsic Menu by Meal:

Abbreviations:
Misc. = _The Miscellany_, Cariadoc and Elizabeth
MK    = _The Medieval Kitchen Recipes from France and Italy_, Redon et al.
TTEM(I/II) = _Take a Thousand Eggs or More_, Cindy Renfrow

Breakfast:
Pan bread (haven't picked the recipe yet)
Eggs
Sausages (those salty ones that we chatted about on the list)
Bread
Cyuele (Sweetened eggs and almonds.  TTEM II. pg. 309)

Lunch:
Smoked Meat
Lord's Salt Meat (Misc. pg 110)
Cheese
Pan de Campagne (From Bear)
Counterfeit isfiriya of Garbanzos (almost falafel.  Misc. pg. 33)
Fruit

Snacks:
Smoked meat and Lord's Salt meat (Misc. pg. 110)
Veggies, Fruits (fresh and Dried)
Cheese
Hais (Dates and Sesame... Misc. pg. 78)
Tostee (Misc. pg. 78)
Rice Pottage (MK pg. 201, TTEM I, pg.18-19)
Hulwa (Honey version, rolled in sesame. Misc. Pg. 98)
Shortbread (Original found in Lorna Sass _To the Queen's Taste_, redaction
	    by Bear)
Cansiones (Almond and sugar filled rolls. Misc. pg. 80)

Breads:
Bread (Misc. pg. 8)
Pan de campagne (From Bear)

Dinners:
NOTE: All meats will be preserved with the "Lord's Salt" recipe found in
the Miscellany on page 110.  This is a wonderful and EASY pickle.  The one
exception to this is the Marinated Trout which appears to be it's own
preservative.  This section will provide main courses only, and the rest
of the meal will be filled in with things from snacks and other things I
have not worried about yet...

Armored Turnips (Misc. pg. 13)
Makke (Beans and onions Misc. pg. 15)
Roast of Meat (Misc. pg. 26)
Preparing covered Tabahjiyya (meat and onions covered with dough Misc. pg.
	                     37)
Zirbaya (Meat dish with thick sauce.  Misc. pg. 46)
Cooked fried Chicked (Misc. pg 45)
Counterfeit isfiriya of Garbanzos (almost falafel.  Misc. pg. 33)
Fresh Beans with Meat, called Fustuqiyya (Misc. pg. 25)
Marinated Trout in Carpione (MK pg. 122)
Carbonata (salted meat with sauce. MK pg. 96)
Chickpea Soup (MK pg. 56)

Drinks:
this is also shakey.  At the moment...
Water
Sekanjabin (Misc. pg. 104)
Hippocras (Misc. pg. 104)
Goerm's Mead (I hope, if I can get him to part with some)