SC - availability of books

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sun Jun 14 13:49:14 PDT 1998

Hello the list! (again)

You may find that recipe books were reasonably frequently copied by
booksellers.  I think (all my notes are at home) that booksellers
were part of the medical/jewellers guild in Florence.  I think the
idea was to have all the expensive small things in together.  It's
the guild that Dante joined, anyway, because he had to belong to a
guild in order to sit in council, since he was noble.  He chose that
guild because then he could sell what he wrote (pity it didn't work
out like that).  Anyway, the medics of the group may have been keen
on food recipes too, you never know.

Cairistiona