SC - Are creations period?

Sun Jun 14 20:57:58 PDT 1998

> In a message dated 6/14/98 12:58:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:
>
> << "If I have period ingredients and mix them
>  in the restrictions of the cooking styles of period, but do not base it
>  on any period recipe, is it period?" >>

I would not consider such a dish period, but I would consider it a valid art
form in terms of the SCA.

In a historic recreation, I take a historic recipe and create the dish in my
kitchen.  This is a period dish as interpreted by me.  My version may not be
what the original cook did.  My version may not match the recipe as
interpreted by another cook.  But the recipe is truly period and I have
attempted to make the dish is as close to the period manner as I can.

When I create a dish using period ingredients and period techniques, it is
certainly not a period dish.  It is my personal recipe and I label it as
such.  I have done this several times when I was trying to obtain a specific
taste or texture as part of a course or as an experiment in cooking an
ingredient for which I can not find a recipe (millet polenta, for example).

The first is a matter of historical research.  The second is both curiosity
and part of my persona, when I am acting in the capacity of a medieval cook.
I try not to confuse the two.

Bear