SC - Soup

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 16 06:01:14 PDT 1998

>> This recipe is based on Mrs McLintock's Receipts for
>> Cookery and Pastry Work which was published in 1986 but was reproduced from
>> the original Scottish cookbook done in 1736.
>
><snip other ingredients>
>
>> 1 head Iceburg Lettuce, coarsley shrd
>

>now, somewhere I learned that iceberg lettuce was developed in the early days
>of the california mega-farm industry.  It was developed to be shipped east by
>train in cars kept cool with huge chunks of ice. I'm pretty sure that butter
>crunch and boston lettuce are recente developments as well.  What might be a
>more period choice?  Romaine?  Endive?
>
>Bonne

When I first joined the SCA I found a recipe that was supposed to be from
the 16th century, but I made two mistakes, first, I didn't write down the
book the recipe was in and I didn't read it carefully to say what the
source was, but it said that Escarole was used in soup in Italy in the 16th
century.  I knew it was a modern green to add to soup and thought it was
neat it had been around so long.

You have to be careful when you cook the soup to drop the escarole in not
too long before you are going to serve it, and the idea is to let it cook
only long enough to get hot and lose most of it's crunch, otherwise if you
cook it too long my mother said it would get slimy.  Slimy is kind of a
strong word, but it's close.

Angeline

Lady Angeline di Aquila
email:alm4 at cornell.edu
Deputy Seneschal Dominion of Myrkfaelinn
  mka. Angie Malone       mundanely located in Ithaca, NY
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/alm4/