SC - creations and creativity

Wed Jun 17 07:17:12 PDT 1998

> As A&S person for my shire needing to run competitions and or contact
> persons of expertice to judge or give classes or advice I hit Rock walls.
> I have written the Kingdom Laurels office, without results (Atlantian)
> asking for a list of laurels and what they laureled in and what , if
> anything, they were willing to teach,judge, advise etc. on. I have people
> looking for Masters in several fields and one considering taking an
> apprentice (leatherworking) . My question then becomes: How the $#@#@ do
> I get judges knowledgable in a field to A) come to an event and B) to
> Judge a compteition, C) How do I identify them other than word of mouth
> which is very subjective? Suggestions ??
> I like kateryns suggestion below too.
>
> Genevia MoAS, Shire of Seareach, Atlantia
> Racing toward the Rock

This is where those mythical beasts called Heralds are handy.  I haven't
checked the OP for other Kingdoms, but the Ansteorran OP lists what skills
lesser A&S awards (Laurels are generally given in this Kingdom for general
expertise with speciality, and particular skills are not listed).  The OP
may give you a list of people who can act as judges.

Once you have the list, start locating the people on it.  Talk to them about
their field of expertise (awards do not automatically confirm expertise of
the quality to judge the work of others).  Talk to them about judging and
talk them into it (in my case, I do not like to judge competitions.  I am
competent to judge cooking and baking.  I have enough background to make a
good stab at Celtic cultural items and sewing projects.  Byzantine beadwork,
wel-l-l-l?)

Don't limit you search to Laurels.  Very often, lesser award holders will
have greater expertise.  For example, I have over 30 years experience in
cooking and baking.  My wife has around 50 years of experience in sewing and
textile working.  Both of us are 20+ year players in the SCA.  Neither of us
is a Laurel.

Write everything down.  Who the person is, where they are located, what they
say about their expertise and you opinions of their expertise.  This is your
personal list and the information is going to be used by you to produce the
best events possible.  If I were considering making the list public, I would
edit out the opinion and contact each person on the list to determine if
they would be willing to have their name on it as a matter of courtesy.

Update your list when the Heralds update the OP.  Keep track of the people
on your list when you meet them at events.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but it is a good way to apply networking to the
SCA.

Once you have the list, you can use it for things other than judging.  You
could use it to invite instructors to you next College or Symposium.

Bear