SC - Re: seeking recipes (Outdoor Feast)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jun 18 21:14:41 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

this summer we started cooking exclusively on the fire. what a hoot! An
outdoor feast in "primitive" condiitons is a fun challenge!

we have found that we can do just about anything we would want to do in a
regular kitchen, with the possible exception of baking pies and breads (and
this only becuase we haven't perfected the techniques yet). Stuff that is
very well suited to the open fire concept include:
- --potages and stews...ie anything that you chop up and let boil or simmer
for long periods of time
- --anything yfryd...ie stuff you cook briefly in hot oil (spinach and fava
or garbanzo beans are two options)
- --herbolades...those eggy things with greens
- --rissoles and frytours. You're outside, so for the first time, deep frying
isnt a terrible ordeal!
- --ravioles are perfect! you can even make them ahad of time and freeze
them. Put them in the boiling broth on site, and voila!

Check out Pleyn Delit, that new Medieval Kitchen book, anything by Scully,
Maggie Black, etc. These are fairly good already-reconstructed recipes that
can get you started. Test them out at home first to be sure you liekt hem
well enough to serve to paying customers :), and select recipes that dont
seem to be too fussy about heat (ie sauces that might curdle probably are
not suitable for fire, especially, if you're like me and havent figured out
the fine points yet)

have fun! cooking over a fire is a blast, especially when you've started it
yourself with flint and steel!
- --AM