SC - Jewish food in period

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Sun Jun 21 09:20:10 PDT 1998

David Friedman writes

<< I read a bunch of volumes of _Early Period_ some time back. I enjoyed the
 publication, but my impression was that their food articles were rarely if
 ever based on period recipes. So my guess would be that they took period or
 biblical references to food and found modern ethnic recipes to fit.

This intrigues me.  My wife and I talked about the idea of having a medieval
sedar this year, but apart from modern ethnic recipes that had a medieval
"feel" about them, couldn't come up with anything authentically period on
short notice.  We decided to hold off on the idea for a while.

I suppose one could select medieval receipts that could be made using kosher
ingredients, but does anyone have any leads on authentic period Jewish
cookery?

Rudd Rayfield