SC - Herbolade

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 21 20:44:56 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie mentioned an egg dish called Herbolade. I have a few
questions about this dish.

Was this dish mentioned in the period cookbooks as a breakfast dish? Or
do you just think it would make a good breakfast dish in the modern idea
of breakfast?

>mince an onion and clarify in good olive oil. Throw in a bag of that
>irradiated pre-washed spinach. Let sweat down. Break and beat a dozen eggs.

Clarified butter has been mentioned here before. How do you clarify olive
oil? I believe clarified butter has the solids removed. But olive oil doesn’t
have any solids that I’ve noted.

I’ve never seen irradiated spinach here in the U.S. What would you do to
use standard fresh spinach? Do you tear the leaves into small pieces or
use as whole leaves? What do you mean by “let sweat down”?

>Throw in and stir. Stir occasionally until the eggs are almost set. Sprinkle
>with grated cheese of choice (we used pre-grated provolone and cheddar we
>can get in bags). Cover and let burble till cheese melts.

>there are several versions of this in the English/French corpus, some with
>cheese some without. We've done it with spinache, and also with bags of
>fancy salad greens.

Referances, please?

>In my experience, eggs transport just fine without a cooler, assuming you
>buy them right before you leave and keep them in the shade under a wet
>cloth, in the carton you bought them in to protect them.

We have talked about egg storage and transport before. Several methods
have been mentioned to seal the eggs. For more info on this, take a look
at this file in my Florilegium files:

eggs-msg          (69K)  5/14/98    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

I’m going to have to try this recipe when I figure out exactly how to do it.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net