SC - creations and creativity

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Jun 22 10:32:27 PDT 1998

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Robyn Probert wrote:

> I can understand why you were crushed by such a bad experience! I ALWAYS
> find something to praise, no matter how poor the entry and try to phrase
> negative criticisms in the form of suggestions, eg "You might want to look
> at... Perhaps you should consider... You could make this even better by...".
>
> I think people are very brave to enter competitions and should receive every
> encouragement to continue creating things. May all your future experiences
> make up for this lousy start!
>
> Rowan

I'm feeling bad here.  I judged a cooking competition a few years ago.
Don't remember all the entries, but there was a lamb and orange and
pomegranate stew from albagdagi that still stands out as one of the best
dishes i've ever seen, and then, one of the worst was also there.  i guess
i was harsh - although i tried to use the kind of ameliorating phrases
shown above.

the entry was irish soda bread served with commercial cottage cheese and
strawberries.  what could i do but point out that any non-yeast leavening
is 19th century?  i honestly don't think the entrant knew that, or why
would they have entered it?  the documentation said that clotted cream was
too difficult to make and that it seemed to them that commercial cottage
cheese was about the same thing.

it was not my intention to cut someone to pieces for an honest effort, but
at what point do we have to set and keep -some- level of standard?  i've
made similar negative comments in my time, always with suggested readings
for the entrant, on the use of chocolate, chili, tomato, potato, and
maize.  am i really as evil as i seem?

elaina