SC - Re: seeking recipes (Outdoor Feast)

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:52:12 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hiya from Anne-Marie...
> > we are asked:
> > Might these "Deutsch" cooking pots be the precursor to what we call
> "dutch"
> > ovens? The idea of the rim and handy loop handle and handle jack coming
> later?
> >  Sounds like the german cooks were leaps ahead of the rest, how clever to
> > raise the hearth up so the cook could stand to work instead of bending.
> >

> The propaganda I got with my dutch ovens says its because in the old days
> to call something "dutch" meant false, as in "dutch courage", and "to go
> dutch" was to have each person pay for themselves. Not very PC, I know. So
> a "dutch oven" in this parleyance was an oven that wasnt really an oven.
>
> --AM

Hmmm, well, that could be.  I'm not positive that the dutch oven makers aren't
making assumptions with their name history.  I mean, you (or someone) has
these old pictures of almost the same thing in Deutschland and can't you just
see some German immigrants (Penn. Dutch maybe, or Moravians) having the pots
and the non-german neighbors being impressed with them and calling them after
their owners?  OK, so I'm making assumtions now!

Bonne