SC - Patron Saints of Cooking

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jun 22 22:09:46 PDT 1998

>More trivia on St Nicholas
>>He provided a poor family with three golden balls as a dowry for the
>>daughters to save them from prostitution
>
>I understood it was 3 bags of gold (rather than balls), left in the
>shoes on the windowsill - this also being the origin of leaving
stocking/shoes out at Christmas for St Nicholas (aka Santa Klaus who's
bishop's robes were transmogrofied by Coca Cola into that jolly red and
white entity). In some parts of Europe, present giving still happens on 6
December, or children are given sweets (if good) or coal (if bad). But
you all knew that anyway.

>I like the St Laurence story the best though...
>
>Rowan

I would say that your facts are somewhat condensed, and that I have a
WHOLE LOT MORE on St. Nicholas if you want, but I will just say that the
Pope struck his name from the official list of Saints in 1969, partially
due to the fact that Nothing remained written of his existance from the
time of his life.  (Not that that stopped many other saints , but that is
another story.)
Perhaps come December, I will trot out the several articles I have
written about him.
	Yours,
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain
	aka Mrs. Claus