SC - creations and creativity

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 09:54:22 PDT 1998

I think if a judge is going to be a tactless SOB at your expense, it
                 more or less disqualifies that person as a decent
judge: they are there
                 to serve the populace, and not for their own
aggrandizement (you can
                 tell I live in the People's Republic of the East,
huh?). Constructive,
                 nurturing, but still honest criticism requires some
tact, but it's
                 pretty essential for a good judge.

                 Adamantius
                 --
<<<<<<<<

I had  a similar  experience, but  not with cooking.  I  finally
finished an embroidered  tapestry about 30" x 24"  .  I worked on it
for 7 years to get it  done, and took it to the first Gulf War I
attended, and entered  it in the A&S War Point  for Ansteorra.  I
didn't expect to  win, but I  wanted to see the comment  sheet from
the judges,  and find out what they  thought.

When I picked  up  my tapestry,  there  was  a paper under it, with
only one comment, and no score  at  all.  All they said was, "Looks
like  a lot of  work".

I  didn't  need  a judge  to tell me that.  I  wanted comments on the
work, on the  style, on whether  or not I needed more documentation.
I was crushed to think that my work  was  brushed  off  so lightly so
as  not  to  be even seriously judged.

Later that  day,  Duchess  Willow came  and found me  in a  deep
blue-purple funk.  She looked  at the item,  gave appropriate oohs and
 aahs,  some constructive criticism,  comments  on the politics  of an
A&S War Point.  Needless  to say, I will  always  have a warm place in
 my heart for her efforts.  I have concluded  that I can enjoy
embroidery and cooking,etc, without entering so  many competitions.
Maybe once in a while, but I  don't need them much.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"