SC - Re: Jewish food in period-some comments

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 06:46:22 PDT 1998

Let me comment on parts of this letter:

<< On the other hand, the chemical makeup of a modern attempt at period
cameline made with matzoh should be practically identical to one made with
crumbs from leavened
bread. >>

Not so.  Mundanely, I have cooked extensivly using motzoh meal (pulverized
matzoh) in place of regular bread crumbs.  In every case, the motzoh meal dish
came out heavier tasting than the bread crumb version.  I believe it has to do
with the levening used in regular bread crumbs, vs matzoh/matzoh meal, which
would be made without levening. Levening puts air/volume into a food item &
helps make it lighter, not so dense.

<< and whether or not they are appropriate for a seder is also in question.>>
Ah, now here's a place I can help with certainty!
Orthodoxly speaking, the rules haven't changed.  (Which isn't to say that
modern Jews do whatever.... me included.)  But back in the MA, there was
Halacha (the law) and not so many variations as today.  I don't recall the
beginning of this Jewish food thread, but if people are interested in  whether
or not a specific recipe would be kosher for Passover. Email me the
ingredients & I can tell you (having been raised ortho & taught & studied
ortho) &I can  also look it up in my ortho books.)
In service, Phillipa Seton