SC - Meat pies

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 14:57:39 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/25/98 4:10:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bacchus at revealed.net writes:

<< We'll be making the meat pies about a week before, freezing them, and
 heating them up in an oven on site (or near-site) as we need them. I really
 don't foresee food poisoning as a problem. But believe me, I'm a fanatic
 when it comes to making sure things are okay to eat. >>

St. Martha's Guilde always makes meatpies to sell at St. Michaelsmas and we
have never had any problems. Heck, a nursing home comes by every year and buys
one for every resident for their supper.

I would be the first to emphasize cleanliness, etc. but I find it hard to
imagine that a meat pie who's filling has been boiled and then the crust baked
around it at such high temperatures would be a suspect for food poisoning in
the first place unless the intergrity of the crust was compromised after it
was cooked. BTW, we serve our at room temperature usually unless there is a
request for it to be heated. Those with cracked crusts are kept chilled and
used for heating.

Ras