Why Sour? (Re[2]: SC - Sourdough (getting further and further)

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Fri Jun 26 04:55:08 PDT 1998

Ok, Bear, this is exactly what I'm looking for (although I didn't
know it until late yesterday afternoon).  All of my starter recipes
have been "cheaters" (using store-bought yeast to make the
starter).............

The things that give sourdough its characteristic tartness (as well as
too many carboys of my beer!!) are the wild yeast, acetobaccili (makes
acetic acid) and lactobacilli (makes lactic acid) that are in the wandering
air about us.  There are certainly other things, but healthy yeast from
the store will not generally do the same.

On a tangential note, there is a yeast strain that will give beer a banana
and clove character when used in conjunction with whet malt.  Might
ber a hoot to try in bread......or a starter...........(weihenstephan or
wheat beer yeast).

niccolo difrancesco
bread is just almost beer