SC - Japanese sponge cake???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 2 05:22:25 PST 1998

Mike's comment explained a lot of this

 At more than
8USD per pound (approx 18USD per kilo), and with block mild cheddar
/ colby / longhorn available around 2.39USD per pound, still not
something I can get often. (Even without a hundred mile one-way
drive to Krebs, OK -- I'm told they've opened a branch store in
North Dallas, gonna have to check it out!)

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /

on the cheapness of ordinary cheese is probably the added explanation (as
well as availability).  2.39 USD a pound is about UKP1.50.  The only time I
get cheese anything like that cheap is on sale!

	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  They are about the same price, or a bit more
expensive than mature cheddar over here (mild cheddar is cheaper, but I find
it a waste of time), about UKP3.00 (about 4.75 USD), which makes them
reasonable to use over here.  Roquefort and parmesan are usually about
UKP7.00 (USD11.00) and those I would count as expensive.  Beyond that we now
have a range of independent dairies producing a wonderful, large variety of
cheeses, from soft fresh goats cheese to very strong cheddars and stiltons -
this has happened in the last 10 years or so, but they tend to be more
expensive.  My husband adores cheese ...

	They are worth trying in period dishes, even if only for a few
people, as they cook quite differently from cheddar.

	BTW, if you like eating this type of cheese, try them with apple
pie, especially one made with quite strong apples and not too sweet.
Marriage made in heaven - its a Lancastrian tradition (which is where my
parents came from).

	Caroline
	known as Mistress Nell in event