SC - Re: pasties

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 2 23:33:44 PST 1998

> Date: Mon, 02 Mar 98 18:24:49 PST
> From: "Tim & Dee" <timdee at sgi.net>
> Subject: SC - Substitutions
>
> Greetings,
>
> There are several period and non-period receipes that have lemons listed in the
> ingrediants.  What I was wondering, is there anything that can be substituted for lemons
> in a receipe?  I am deathly allergic to lemons, whether artificial or real (same with limes).
>
> Dierdre

I guess a variant on the "Form follows function" rule would apply. It
depends on what you would be using lemons or limes for. In other words,
what particular characteristic of lemon are you looking to substitute
for?

Various vinegars make a decent substitute for lemon juice, in marinades
and salads, that sort of thing. They aren't the same, of course, but
they do provide the tart tang.

In baking (and this one came as a great surprise to me) I have made
cheesecakes using fresh chevre goat cheese, sweetened with ordinary
sugar, that tasted, in the final product, as if lemon had been added.
Goat cheese is usually a bit sour... .

Similarly, ground coriander seed is a decent substitute for grated or
ground lemon peel (particularly the dried commercial kind often used in
baking).

I can't think of anything that would substitute for lemon or lime in a
beverage, though. At least not offhand.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com