SC - Re: Frumenty for the Masses, Revisited

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Mar 3 17:31:05 PST 1998

- ---Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:18:57 EST
> > From: JSchl65101 <JSchl65101 at aol.com>
> > Subject: Re: SC - Substitutions
> > How about Staghorn Sumac Berries?  They are probably OOP,
> > but one name they're known by is Lemonade tree.
> > Niamh
> Not surprising. I've never heard of Staghorn Sumac, but the
> sumac used in Middle Eastern cookery is tart stuff. I don't
> have a specific reference, but I'd be surprised to find sumac
> _isn't_ period, at least for Islamic cooking.

 Adamantius, Staghorn Sumac is certainly pre-1600CE. Whether or not
it originated in the New World or elsewhere, I can't tell you with
certainty, but I grew up around the stuff (Central & Northern
Oklahoma).

De Soto's expedition I believe used it, although I am not so certain
of other early conquistadores (with apologies, this is "head
knowledge": tidbits from a lifetime of learning, without
documentable source I can cite). I have no current evidence or
particular reason to believe that the Sumac I grew up with was
exported to Spain or other parts of Europe in any form before 1600ce.

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com