SC - pasty

Christina van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 4 09:20:38 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie....
Kat says...
> Once again, Anne-Marie comes to my rescue ;-)...
Aw shucks! :)

> Not Ziplocs because of the danger of leakage, I assume?
Yep. Especially after being shoved into a very full cooler and then dumped
into a pot of boiling water. Better safe than sorry. The sealer bags are
cheaper than zippies anyway.

> Did you let the cooked grain cool to room temp. first before stirring the
raw beaten eggs in?
Not on purpose...we just let it sit long enough to get the bags ready and
whatever else on the stove to a good point where we could walk away. In
hindsight, it probably doesnt mattter too much as long as you stir really
well before you bag. The original has you add the egg to the hot barley
anyway.

> Just out of curiosity, what seasonings do you use in your Fungys?  I'm
using saffron, pepper and a little cubeb (and I'm using homemade veggie
broth rather than chicken stock this time, since I've had veggie RSVPs);
but I'm open to other varieties as well...  :-)  and I LOOOOOOVE this dish;
so any excuse to make a "test batch" for dinner...

Me too! One of my favorites. I flavor mine with a good dose of poudre forte
(cinnamon, ginger, a tad of clove and grains of paradise. Tony a la World
Spice has my recipe on file and so I can just get a bag of it whenever I
want) plus the saffron. I used veggie broth (I found the Swansons brand to
be the tastiest, though the label says it contains very unfortunate new
world ingredients. For us the biggest thing was that it NOT contain MSG,
which several people in our barony have problems with) as well as the
requisite leeks. The secret, I found was to boil the stuff for a very long
time until there was very little broth left. The leeks cooked down to
almost nothing and the stuff was very very flavorful! Yum!

Good luck! Starch in mass quantities is intimidating to me. This method
worked well for us, and I hope it serves you too.

- --AM