SC - Sumac

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 16:09:08 PST 1998

- ---"Yeldham, Caroline S" <csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk> wrote:
> [Yeldham, Caroline S]  And by great co-incidence I'm working on
> Formond's list of plants dated to c 1500 (he died 1542/3 but the
> handwriting dates it to around 1500 - this information from
> John Hervey's Early Gardening Catalogues 1972 SBN 85033 021 1
> published by Phillimore).  the text is also known as Sloane
> MS 1201 in the British Museum.
>
> He gives something like 100 plants for gardens under the headings
> of 'for potage', 'for sauce', 'for the copp', 'for a Salade', ;
> to stylle', 'for savour and beaute', 'rotys for a gardyn' and 'for
> a herber'.  BTW if anyone knows what 'for the copp' or to stylle'
> mean, I'd love to know.

I've seen good answers to those last two, but I have an alternate
possibility for 'copp' -- which a quick inspection of the associated
plants should make or break. (I'm willing to believe that 'cup' is
more likely than the following, but since it came into this Kitchen
Idiot's addled pate...)

'copp' might conceivably be 'coop', particularly if the associated
plants are viable sources of poultry feed.

The entry in this list I don't recognize and am hesitant to
speculate on is 'rotys for a gardyn'. Are these plants to cultivate
as part of a rotation? In rows (which recent information leads me to
believe may be a New World contribution)?

> PS - this new system insists on adding my name every time I hit
> return and I haven't figured out how to turn it off, so apologies
> for the apparent egoism!

No problem -- actually, I thought it looked like a nifty feature
when replying point-by-point to sections of a previous post. Good
luck in finding a way to disable when not desired!

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com