SC - Fw: [EK] Auction Liam's address

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Mar 5 08:54:16 PST 1998

LrdRas wrote:

> In a message dated 3/4/98 3:48:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu writes:
>
> << All of my research has shown viola, violets, pansies, johny-jump-ups, etc.
> as
>  safe and edible-
>  -brid >>
>
> I will have to agree,Brid. If there is SPECIFIC information that clearly shows
> that there are actual poisonous properties (e.g. not the type that warns of
> cyanide in beets) I would be most interested to hear about it either privately
> or to the list. Since now is the time to start planning the garden, it would
> be an excellent time to get these sort of conflicting informations settled
> once and for all before space is wasted in the planting area with unusable
> produce..
>
> Ras

I have used violas for many years in salads, and am not dead yet, nor
did I suffer any ill effects (Nope, I was always this way- too late to
blame it on the plants...). I have seen them listed in books previously
(to long ago to remember which ones)as edible, but a recent posting
(don't remember who, but I think it was on flowers to use in winemaking)
listed pansies as poisonous. In a private e-mail follow-up, I asked the
poster if she was sure, and she let me know that the poisonous flower
list was straight out of a book, which she gave the name of, but I don't
now know. (If you're out there, can you give the book reference again?)
I don't THINK violas are poisonous, but I believe they're related, so I
had relegated violas to the 'better safe than sorry' category. They grow
all over my yard now, from the one small pot I had near the door two
years ago, so, now that Brid says they're safe, I have 'em anyways. If
you're concerned with space wastage, nasturtiums work well, and are
definately safe. On a side note, you would never be wasting space with
johnny jump-ups as they are utterly charming, and would bring grace to
your garden. They also are small, and will fit amongst other plants
easily.Hugs & Pinches
Angelique