SC - re: plea for help / edible roses

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Mar 6 19:23:17 PST 1998

> At 1:08 PM -0600 3/6/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> >The oven in question appears to be a derivative of the cloche oven.  The
> >cloche oven consists of a clay bake stone covered with a clay bowl,
> usually
> >with a handle on the base of the bowl.  An Athenian example can be seen
> in
> >the illustrations of Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.
>
> If I understand you correctly, the oven tells us nothing about the shape
> of
> what was baked in it, other than giving a maximum size. I had thought from
> Lady Lyddy's post that it might be something the pasty was somehow formed
> around or shaped in, so that its shape would support her assertion (if I
> understand it) that period pasties looked like modern Cornish pasties.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

You are correct.  The shape of the oven has nothing to do with the shape of
the contents other than it must fit within the bell.  The illustrations I've
seen of the cloche ovens suggest that the diameter covered would be about
two feet at maximum and the bells were generally oval rather than circular.

Bear