SC - Re:penzey's

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Sun Mar 8 19:22:12 PST 1998

: Hello!  [chuckling] :-)  Well done, Phillipa! I like very much that you've
: picked up that this recipe is a poem!  And thanks also to James Prescott,
&
: Phil & Susan Troy for their more literal interpretations.  This is fun!

I read and speak French fairly well, and have translated period French
poetry, Francois Villon, to be exact. Biggest problem is the spelling shift.
:
: I have a few questions.  In the passage below, Phillipa, you translate
: 'machès' as 'Lamb's Lettuce', and then as 'Lamb's Quarters'.  What is your
: documentation for tranlating 'machès' as 'Lamb's Lettuce'? (James Prescott
: thought it might be the name of a bird.)
:
: Also, Lamb's Lettuce is not the same thing as Lamb's Quarters.  Gerard
: lists 'Lambes Lettuce or Corne Sallad' (Valerianella Locusta, or related
: species), & says "This herbe ... [is] not vnlike ...the garden Lettuce; in
: stead whereof, in Winter and in the first moneths of the Spring it serues
: for a sallad herbe, and is with pleasure eaten with vineger, salt and
oile,
: as other sallads be...  [Aoife, are you there?]
:
: The name Lamb's Quarters is commonly applied to Chenopodium album L. and
: Atriplex species (other names include Goose-foot, Pigweed, Wild Orache,
: etc.).

Adamantius and I are disagreeing on the lamb's lettuce, he's using the
second usage, chewed, thinking the partridges are cut up, I'm using the
first meaning, Lamb's lettuce, in French. My herbal showed lamb's quarters
and lamb's lettuce being closely related, with the names interchangeable.
De ces maches- of these Lambs Lettuces.

:
: <snip>
: : : : : :13.  Une douzaine d'alouetes
: >: : : : :14.  Qu'environ les cailles me mettes.
: >: : : : :15.  Et puis prendras de ces machès
: >: : : : :16.  Et de ces petis oiselès:
: >: : : : :17.  Selon ce que tu en auras,
: >: : : : :18.  Le pasté m'en billeteras.
: >: : :
: >: : :  13. A dozen of larks
: >: : :  14. That about the quail I place
: >: : :  15. And then take of the Lamb's lettuce
: >: : :  16. And of these small birds
: >: : :  17.According to that which you have
: >: : :  18. Seat them in the pastie
:
:  13. About the others, place a dozen larks,
: : : 14. Resting gently, well within their marks
: : : 15.Then take of Lamb's quarters a goodly bit
: : : 16. And then around the smaller birds make fit
: : : 17. According to that which you have to hand,
: : : 18. Seat them in the pastie oh so grand.  .
: >: :
: <snip>
:
: We seem to have some disagreement over this bit:
:
: >: : : : :27.  Se tu veulx que du pasté taste
: >: : : : :28.  Fay mettre des oeufs en la paste;
: >: : : : :29.  Les croutes, un poi rudement,
: >: : : : :30.  Faictes de flour de pur froument,
:
: Adamantius says:
: > The crust, coarse as peas,
:
: James Prescott says:
: Perhaps "The crusts, a bit crudely".
:
: And Phillipa says:
: >: : : 27. Oneself you wish the pastie tasty
: >: : : 28. Make placed the eggs within the pastry
: >: : : 29. The crusts, one pea harshly
: >: : : 30. Make of the flour of pure grain.
: >: :
: >: : 27. And for to make the pastie 'specially tasty,
: >: : 28. Add within some eggs into the pastry.
: >: : 29. and with the crusts a pea treated most rudely,
: >: : 30. Forced into pure grain flour very crudely.
:
: I have heard of peas & beans being ground to flour & used in coarse bread.
: Is there documentation for this flour being used in piecrusts?
It says to me to cut the crust into pea sized crumbles- the disagreement is
more apparent than real.

:
: Cindy/Sincgiefu
: renfrow at skylands.net