SC - Fw: ANST - Chocolate Documentation!

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:10:54 PST 1998

We were discussing that last night. I'll be asking at my fav orite Chinese
grocery tomorrow. Would love to see the expression on my sheriff's face as
I go wandering off into the woods, catching larks for dinner. ;-)

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Phillippa re-constructed/translated:
:
:
: >: : 1.  Good profit may be made by doing well
: >: : 2.  The cooking of the pastie I will tell.
: >: : 3.  That one may make so good, a simple pasty,
: >: : 4.  That all agree is of the best, most tasty.
: <<huge snippage>>
:
: Wow! I'm very impressed. Sometimes when this list gets to it's most
inane, I
: wonder if we will ever do the sort of work that effects the corpus of
: knowledge of cooking in the MA and Rennaisance. Here is a good example of
: something that could make a striking difference, at least in the
: English-speaking world!
:
: Well done!
:
: I find it interesting that the crust contains pea-meal, don't you? It may
be
: called a pasty, but the inclusion of the pea-meal leads me to believe that
: it is to be served without the crust in final presentation. One wouldn't
be
: caught dead giving a pea-meal crust to Charles I, after all!
:
: >
: >>: : 27. And for to make the pastie 'specially tasty,
: >>: : 28. Add within some eggs into the pastry.
: >>: : 29. and with the crusts a pea treated most rudely,
: >>: : 30. Forced into pure grain flour very crudely.
:
: If, however, this means to make the dough the texture of pea-meal (prior
: adding liquid), I see how this pie could then be royal food. Adding eggs
and
: pea-meal together in a pasty dough seems a contra-indication to me!
:
: As an alternate thought, though, one sometimes sees recipes for "rough"
: crust, whose purpose is to retain moisture and work as a sort of
casserole,
: to be broken and removed later (remeber Apecius' figgy ham recipe with the
: crust to be discarded?).  In this case the eggs might be meant to be
adding
: to the filling (often seen in English Meat pies, either just the yolks, or
: like your Melton Mowbray (veal and ham), with a whole hard-boiled egg in
the
: middle).
:
: A last thought: Could this be a precurser to Terrine? Sounds an awful lot
: like a layered French terrine to me, except that it would have the bones
in
: it! I'm really intrigued with the instructions for building the filling.
It
: sounds like we are constructing a horizontally layered filling, from the
: centre out, that would produce a colored or stiped effect once cut into
: wedges!
:
: And because curiosity killed the cat......
: Are larks legal game, and if not, where does one buy them? This recipe
begs
: to be reconstructed exactly as written (according to your personal
: interpretations!), simply for the gustatory adventure!
:
: Aoife
:
: