SC - frozen pomegranate seeds

S.Albert salbert at polarnet.com
Mon Mar 9 22:45:03 PST 1998

Lady Morganna McGlachlen wrote:

> >I would like to know if anyone of you out there has some ideas for
> >recipes I could use to serve to the Crown and thier entourage for a
> >light lunch.
> >I will be serving this at a very primitive site and I have managed to
> >secure the use of two burners and a small charcol grill.
> >The event will be in May in Texas so it might be really hot weather and
> >then again it might not.
> >I will be making breads the day before so I don't mind make ahead
> >suggestions.
> >
> >Thank You
> >Tegan

Having never had the pleasure of serving a feast from anything But a primitive
site (we have to haul every drop of water in, every bit of trash out, no tables,
etc.) here something easy, especially if its hot.  Buy all different in season
fresh fruit you can find, if it's expensive, like blue berries or raspberries,
just buy a tiny bit, then do one of these, 1st you can slice watermelon in half
longwise, scoop the flesh into melon balls, add bite size peices of everything
else and put back into the shell of the melon.  Use those long bamboo skewers and
a peice of paper and make a "sail" to stick in the middle [put your scribes to
work decorating them with the groups arms or something].  Stud the top with
attractive tooth picks [once we found some shaped like rapier blades--had mini
sword duels at the tables between removes]  Or 2nd choice, which I did for a
small, intimate Royal dinner, get the plastic champagne cups [check party supply
places] and layer fresh fruit in them, top with {and this is my secret
ingredient, most people couldn't figure out what it was, but loved it!}Plain,
store brand vanilla flavored yogurt, with a bit of extra suger if it tastes a
little too tart.  The champagne glases look very elegant, even if they are
plastic.

I have found in hot weather that the sour and salty things go over well and
usually get eaten quick, unless there are dietary restrictions.  Also, simple
relish trays with an assortment of fruit, vegetables, pickles [look for all
different sorts, sour, sweet, hot, unusual things like pickled fruit, olives,
ect], breads, crackers, cheeses and lunchmeats all go over very well, especially
if the lunch is served while they are watching a tourney or something.  If that's
the case you might also want to provide those food umbrellas to keep the bugs off
and if extremely hot, set your food platters on shallow bowls or trays of crushed
ice to help keep them cold.  Also lots of things to drink like ice tea, lemonade,
water.  We serve a simple punch at our feasts and always seem to run out, even
when I allowed 10 gallons for a 100 person feast!  Very easy to make, even
younger kitchen helpers can manage this.  In each gallon pitcher mix together 1
can of frozen concentrate fruit punch with a 2 liter bottle of soda, try lemon
lime, gingerale or something along those lines.  You can use the cheapest house
brands of both, no one will ever know it only cost $1 or $1.50 a gallon.  These
two things will not fill the pitcher, add enough ice to fill it up and stir
well.   They will come back for more in droves!

Hope this helps out.

If you need more ideas for primitive site feast o crating, just call!

Mairi