SC - Autumn feast ideas

Kornelis Sietsma korny at zikzak.net
Tue Mar 10 23:14:41 PST 1998

On 10 Mar 1998, Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       RE>>SC - frozen pomegranate seeds            3/10/98
>
> <snip>
> Margali wrote:
> pomegranate and sugar syrup is called grenadine...
> ***
> I thought Grenadine was a cherry flavored syrup...
> Murkial
> (the confused)
> <snip>
>
> Nope, grenadine is pomegranite, that is what Shirley Temples (drink) are made
> with- lovely stuff.
> -brid

Greetings

That lovely red in the Tequila Sunrise is grenedine.  Cheers

I believe the December/January of the "Herb Companion" has an interesting
persian receipt for quail (use game hens), pomegranite and cinnamon. The
discussions on "period" cinnamons make this issue worth the cost, even
if the receipt does not.

You could also make ratafaria, an italian cordial reputed to be imbibed
upon the signing of important documents.  I have never found the original
source.

1 lb dried figs, cut open
6 peaches, sliced
the juice of 6 pomegranites
1 c honey (I used 1 1/2 c)
1 qt brandy

mix and age one month, shaking every day.  filter and bottle.

I found that bottled pomegranite juice makes a dark cordial and that fresh
juice from the seeds makes a beautiful ruby cordial.

If anyone knows the original source, please e-mail us privately.

Many thanks

Arian & Joseph
If it can't be fricasseed, then fry, fry, the hen...