SC - a question

Brian Matthews wilthain at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 16 22:53:54 PST 1998

Tartee, Form of Curye 172

Take pork ysode; hewe it and bray it. Do therto ayren, raisouns corauns,
sugur and powdour of gynger, powdour douce, and small briddes theramong,
and white grece. Take prunes, safroun, and salt; and make a crust in a
trap, and do the fars therin; and bake it wel and serue it forth.

(I've changed the thorns to th and the & to and).
- ---
Redacted version from The King's Taste (as posted here--I haven't checked
the original)

>	1 10-inch uncooked pie shell
>	1 Cornish hen, quail or squab, cut into about 8 pieces
>	1/2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
>	2 tb vegetable oil
>	1 lb lean ground pork
>	2 eggs
>	1/4 cup raisins
>	10 dried prunes, pitted and minced
>	1 ts firmly packed light brown sugar
>	1/2 ts ground ginger
>	3/4 ts salt
>	Scant 1/2 ts saffron
>	1/2 ts ground anis
>	1 ts ground fennel seeds
>	1/2 ts ground cloves
>	Bake pie pastry at 425 deg for 10 minutes. Let cool. Dredge
>pieces of fowl in seasoned flour and brown in oil until golden. Combine
>pork, eggs, rasins, prunes, brown sugar, ginger salt, saffron, anise,
>fennel and cloves. Spread about a third of the mixture on the pie pastry.
>Then
>distribute the pecies of fowl evenly on top of it. Use the remaining pork
>mixture to cover the fowl. Bake at 375 deg for 35 minutes or until pork
>is brown throughout and meat thermometer stuck in middle of pie registers
>160 degees
- --
Differences:

1. The pork has not been boiled in advance as in the original.
2. The currants have been converted into raisins
3. The birds have been floured and browned, where in the original they were
simply put in raw.
4. The author then omits the "white grease" that is an ingredients in the
mixture for the original--although one could argue that point 3 above makes
up for that.

Also, the author apparently believes that "powdour douce" contains anis,
fennel, and cloves, but not cinnamon, which I think unlikely.

A nice illustration of why one should never trust a secondary source unless
the primary is included so that you can check the one against the other.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/