SC - Galingale and Brains

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 08:03:47 PST 1998

> > The feast started 1/2 hour later than it was "supposed to" which
> > merely whet all appetites.  The kitchen I hear was a bit
> inadequate-<snip>
>
> Inadequate is not the word.  I knew beforehand (thank the Gods) that there
> was only one oven and one 4-burner stove; but even with the preplanning
> and prepping we were able to do on Friday, it was still a logistical
> nightmare.
>
> It's my intention to recommend we use that site just for potlucks, unless
> next year's WS cook decides to haul in a spit-roaster...

My last feast was done out of a concession stand with an oven/broiled that
would barely hold a standard cake pan, a four burner stove, and a single
sink.  There was an oven in a cabin up the hill, and I had one of my
assistants baking bread there (one of my trade marks is lots of tasty bake
goods).  It was an interesting experience, but not one I wish to repeat.

Knowing what I was up against, purchasing began 3 months before the event.
Preparation began two weeks before.  I took leave the three days before the
event to pre-cook and bake.  It was still a zoo.  If I use the site again, I
will plan a menu which can be cooked over a fire pit.

> True; and I'm feeling very smug about this...

It sounds as though your feast came off reasonable well.  The quality of the
feast is judged by the feasters.  Fortunately, they usually don't get to see
the comedy of errors which normally occurs off-stage.

> I feel bad about this; I didn't realize stuff was getting cold getting to
> the tables.  Most hot things were hot when they went through the window...

This is why planning the hall layout and the service flow is as critical as
planning the feast.  It also helps to have a head server who knows the plan
and acts as an expediter rather than a server.

> But above and beyond all the disasters, the feast went well.  No one
> complained of hunger, almost all the bowls came back empty, and the
> spectacle dishes and sotelties got lots of "ooohs."  So all in all I'm
> pretty happy with the way it went...
>
> 	- kat

It sounds like you had a winner.  I'm just sorry I can't taste it over the
wire.

Bon Chance

Bear