SC - Specialty meats (was re: white shield feast)

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Mar 17 16:47:37 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/17/98 7:57:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KKimes1066 at aol.com writes:

<< You mean you don't have to clean up your mess????>>

Certainly a good cook would clean up his or her messes. When I think of after
feast clean-up, I think of washing the serving dishes and pans which held the
individual courses. cleaning the stove, scrubbing down the equipment, mopping
the floors. So, if your question means do I, personally, have to clean up the
mess left after the actual service of the feast , then the answer is no, I do
not. Where does the clean-up crew come from? I can't honestly say that I know.
Usually the last feast course goes out and I get the opportunity to finally
sit down for a moment. Before I can yawn a cold bottle of whatever is thrust
into my hand and I'm bustled out of the kitchen to the sound of mop buckets
clanging and dishwasher doors slamming. I would suspect that the Hall Steward
had taken care of assembling a crew to clean the hall.

 <<Man! I have got to move to a bigger place.>>

Our Shire is not all that large. We have a little over a hundred on our
mailing list but there are perhaps 20 core individuals out of which 10 or 12
do most of the work  most of the time. Perhaps the generosity of several
members of the shire by way of donations of  kegs and cases may provide some
incentive for some people to volunteer to be on the clean-up crew. For others
the boisterous comradery may be the draw. Whatever the reasons,  the common
factor to get and retain cleaning crews is making the clean-up process as much
fun as possible.9 times out of 10 our clean up crew isn't even composed of
shire members. :-)

 <<'Round these parts we do as much pre cookin' as we can, 'cuz the head chef
is also the Group Marshall and there's fighters to be inspected, and a tourney
to run.
                                                  Percival Beaumont Esq-App >>

Many shires find a need to pre-cook much of their feast in advance due to lack
of manpower or inadiquate kitchen facilities. One of the ways our shire
handled the lack of manpower was to recommend all event officer's have a
deputy. By training deputies, you have doubled your potential pool of event
officers the first time you do it. After a few events, you will tend to have
enough event officers to eliminate the problem of Head Cook/Marshalls and
Autocrat/Trolls or other double responsibility situations.

Given the limited resources you small shire has, you all are to be commended
for a job well done. For a shire or barony with potentially unlimited human
resources, it is a matter of spreading responsibility among  all the local
members and making even the most arduous tasks as pleasant as possible. If you
make your event homey then strangers will be more willing to treat it like
their own home including clean-up. :-)

Ras