SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Par Leijonhuvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Wed Mar 18 08:15:21 PST 1998

Hello from Anne-Marie
I know of no extant cookbooks from the Viking age or early Irish. BUT....

we know that the Romano-Brits were very influenced by the doings of Rome,
and so conceivably aped their eating habits. We have a Roman cookbook
(Apicius) from 2 AD with lots of fun recipies. We've held "Celtic suck up"
events, ie the local chief trying to impress the visiting Roman dignitary
by preparing fashionable Roman food. And darn tasty stuff, too! There are
several versions of this available, and even some recipes reconstructed on
the web, I believe, though I dont vouch for their authenticity.

we have a 13th century European cookbook that was found in Scandanavia. The
recipeis for the most part are very similar to the rest of the French and
English corpus of the time, with a few differences. There's nothing to say
that this is the food that the Vikings ate, though. You can get this in
Cariadoc's collection.  Yum! Chicken Pastellum!

There's a great pair of books called Anglo Saxon Food and Drink by Anne
Hagen. No recipeis, but she very carefully compiles archeological and
literary data to get an idea of what foodstuffs were consumed and even some
idea as to how they were prepared, ie boiled, baked, etc. Her citations
include early stuff that might work for you.

good for you for not going with the standard traditional modern spread and
calling it "viking"! And good luck!

- -ANne-Marie