SC - Diseases.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Mar 18 14:52:56 PST 1998

SO FAR it's non-pneumonic, but pneumonic is a variant of the basic
organism, just manifesting itself differently. IIRC, pneumonic only affacts
about 2-3%, but is no-hope-deadly. Also, there are strains showing
antibiotic resistance now.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
:
: > I don't know if you are aware of it, folks, but Black Plague, or Bubonic
: > plague, is considered endemic in the Western US. Many people there when
: > tested show positive for the antibodies, and there are about 6-15
actually
: > documented cases per year. It's been on the uprise a bit too, mostly
: > believed to be because of homeless people living outdoors.
: >
: >
: > phlip at morganco.net
: >
: You also have been having bumper crops of indigenous rodents, which are
the
: vector.  The endemic plague in the U.S. is a non-pnuemonic form which
: entered the country from Asia in the first part of this century.  It
spread
: from the rat population to other flea carrying rodents and has been slowly
: working its way east.  A few years ago we had a case out in the Oklahoma
: Panhandle and nothing since.
:
: Bear
: