SC - Ostrich, and cruelty to geese

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Thu Mar 19 08:20:44 PST 1998

> The extent of the preparation depends upon the conditions the cook expects
> to be under.  I do a large amount of pre-cooking and baking, because I am
> often called upon to prepare a feast at sites with minimal facilities and
> fires prohibited.  Even with pre-cooking, I spend most of my time in the
> kitchen.

Exactly my point. I usually have very little in the way of cooking facilities
or if I have a good kitchen I'm usually cooking for 400-500 people. If I
should ever get a good kitchen for only about 200 then I will probably cook
most of the feast on site.

I do like Ld. Ras' idea of being the Head Cook as just the way to play the
event. I usually consider cooking a service to be done for the event but I
don't feel like I'm "playing the game" when I do it. I'll need to work on
the attitude adjustment.

> One of these year's, I'd like to prepare a feast in a functional commercial
> kitchen.  Or, better still, a Renaissance kitchen with fully equipped hot
> and cool work spaces and the big ovens and fireplaces.

Cooking in a commercial kitchen is a real joy. The Coronations I have done
have had fairly good kitchens but the best I've ever been in was when we
did the Coronation in a local High School. Pure joy!

I also would love the opportunity to cook in a period kitchen.

> Bear

Yers,

Gunthar