OT (was: SC - Viking and early Irish foods)

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Thu Mar 19 14:23:32 PST 1998

Hey Margali!
Speaking of Lutefisk and other foods processed with lye...
(I got this info from the "Frugal Gourmet Cooks American")
Grits are no longer produced in this way, but are now a large particle
size of white corn meal.
Soaking the dried grains in lye would cause the grains to swell to two
or three times their size, and they were then called hominy.
(this is an Indian word. Indians started this technique before the
settlers came, according to the "Froog"...)
The swelling occurred as a result of the sugar in the grain's reaction
with the lye.
This helped both to preserve the grain and to stretch it.

On Wednesday, March 18, 1998 9:24 PM, marilyn traber
[SMTP:mtraber at email.msn.com] wrote:
> polenta is yellow corn meal, grits is white feed corn ground up after
being
> leached with lye to soften the skins. BIG difference-look and taste.
>
> margali

Ok, we have Hominy and Lutefisk.
Does anyone else have examples of other foodstuffs processed with lye?

Brandu