SC - Potluck feasts / was SC-kitchens

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Fri Mar 20 11:00:17 PST 1998

*********
On another side, my small shire in the hinterlands, way back when did
things totally differently. Folks were assigned recipies by the kitchen
head and would bring, say "six Tartes of Flessche" or "three baked hams"
the day of, and the kitchen head would take care of re-heating
*********
I like that idea.  Was it left to the individual to figure out what is
meant by "six Tartes of Flessche" or were they given recipes to work from
or something else?

All the events I've been two  have been for 150-300 people.  The cook
gathers their own assistants, the hall steward gathers servers, and those
two groups combined with a lot of volunteers (esp. teens) clean the
kitchen, with the cooks expected to leave after supervising the storing
away of leftovers and dealing with  their own tools and supplies as they
wish.  I told Kat privately that among teens and older kids, it's the
minimal thing to do if you expect a service award.  After last weekend,
I'm aware that the site clean up crew expects to re-clean the kitchen and
hall Sunday morning, really getting into the corners and getting it to
the "leave it better than you found it" stage.  But the great mass of it
is done that night. The events have been at scout and YMCA camps, with
old and ratty commercial kitchens, but commercial kitchens nonetheless.

Anne