SC - Ostrich, and cruelty to geese

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri Mar 20 18:54:30 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/20/98 5:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
themorrigan at softhome.net writes:

<< Has anyone else had to kill their meats for a feast?

I had to slaughter 2 goats for my Middle Eastern Feast. We bought two nannies
that were still milking. Everyday we milked them and froze the milk. After
slaughter which was  not pleasant but....necessary. We butchered them and
froze the meat 'til the feast.

The milk we tried to make cheese with but as it was a first attempt ....well,
you get the picture. :-) The horns were made into drinking vessels, the hides
tanned, a knife handle was made from one of the bones and a particularly
"talented" individual made walking cane tops with the hooved feet. :-0

All in all it was an educational experience but I think that whenever budget
allows, I would rather let the butcher do his job.

Ras