SC - period kitchens

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Fri Mar 20 23:07:05 PST 1998

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Alderton, Philippa wrote:

Good post!

> Now, if your persona is Polish, at this point you will peel the skin from
> the carcase from the bottom up. Otherwise, start at the top, the "ankles",
> and peel down, pulling and severing connective tissue as necessary, DON'T
> CUT INTO EITHER THE MEAT OR THE HIDE!!!!!!!! Just sever the membranes
> between them.

In most cases you can put your knife away once the initial cuts are made
(at least on small animals such as sheep and deer, I've never tried on
moose, horses or cattle). Use your hands to push, pull and pry the hide
off, and whoever gets to take care of the hide will love you. I do
buckskin tanning (as a hobby), and far too many of the hides I get have
cuts in them.

Ohh, one more thing: many tie off both ends of the digestive system
(i.e. the esophagus and anus) to avoid getting the contents loose.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure
reasoning, and inhibit clarity.  With a little pratice, writing can be
an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" -- Bill Watterson's Calvin.