SC - German Cookbooks

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Mon Mar 23 14:27:11 PST 1998

> I believe the recipe you are looking for is the "Beef with Cryspes" recipe I posted quite a while ago. It is one of the very few good recipes from the book "Fabulous Feasts". I don't have the recipe on me right now but perhaps somebody could post it.
> Yers, Gunthar

As Requested:
A ROSTE
Beef Roast With Crisps
Ingredients:
4 or more Tablespoons oil or butter for searing meat
5 pounds beef roast tied with butcher's cord
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 cup dates, pits removed, cut in halves
1 cup dried figs, stems removed, cut in strips
1/2 cup dried apple rings, cut in halves
2 Tablespoons brown sugar or honey
1 1/2 cups beef stock

Batter:
1 cup flour
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 scant teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, crushed

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In Dutch oven or cast-iron pot (either having tight covers) melt the
butter.
3. Dredge the roast with the mixture of flour, cinnamon, and salt, and
thoroughly sear in the heated butter, browning all sides.
4. Mix basil, rosemary, and thyme.  Mix spices with combined dates,
figs, and apples.
5. Arrange spiced fruits around the meat.  Sprinkle sugar or drizzle
honey on fruits.
6. Carefully pour on beef stock around edges of the pot so as to avoid
"flooding" any food surfaces.  Cover tightly.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, or until tender.  Remove from oven
to cool for 30 minutes.  Increase oven heat to 450 degrees.
8. Prepare a very thick batter by vigorously stirring all ingredients,
except parsley.  Add extra flour if necessary.
9. Add chopped parsley to the batter.
10. Pour batter over roast allowing the excess to trickle into the
gravy.  Return meat to hot oven (450 degrees) for 5 to 10 minutes so
that coating browns nicely.
11. Cut the roast in its dough "jacket" (somewhat reminiscent of the
modern Beef Wellington).  Serve the "crisps," which formed in the
juices, along with the gravy and fruit.
 Hugs & Pinches,
Angelique