SC - OT, places

Varju Varju at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 23:10:00 PST 1998

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, kat wrote:

> 	What I remember most about my singular experience with
> lutefisk was not the smell.  In fact, it was the complete absence of
> smell--or taste--or color--that got to me.

I just figured out what may have caused some here to think of lutfisk as
smelly: surstr"omming (in order to save the 7-bit world from QP codes I
won't place the umlauts over the o). This northern specialty is herring,
which is fermented. Typically sold in cans that are _supposed_ to be
more roundish than is usually considered healthy in canned goods (hint:
open outdoors). The smell _is_ rather strong, but goes away when you
taste it (and the taste is different from the smell). And no, it is not
rotten, just fermented.

Lutfisk, as Kat wrote, is not an "explosive" culinary or olfactory
experience. But why didn't they serve the green peas that traditionally
goes with it? Don't forget the allspice (which for some peculiar reason
is referred to as "spice-pepper" in Swedish).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Cunning and deceit will every time serve a man better than force.
                                        -- Niccolo Machiavelli