SC - Kentwell Part 2 (also long)

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Thu Mar 26 06:55:06 PST 1998

In reading around cooking, I came across some legislation (English) which
said that butchers were not allowed to hold meat over the fast days, indeed
their premises were liable to be inspected to make sure they didn't keep
meat.  By the late 15th century you weren't supposed to be eating meat on
Wednesdays Fridays and Saturdays.  Surely this would mean that on Thursdays
and Sundays you would be purchasing freshly slaughtered meat for consumption
that day?  Or were people expected to buy their meat on Thursday for Sunday
and keep it?  Which would be added temptation to eat meat as well as
potentially problematic in hot weather.

So, does this mean butchers didn't hang their meat, it was eaten fresh, or
only on those days?

Any thoughts or information, anyone?

Caroline

Sidelight on the Dawson recipe - it would be rare in England to be able to
rely on the sun to do that kind of cooking!  Around the Mediterranean, yes,
I think there's a type of peach jam made by laying the peaches in trays on
roofs, you would usually end up with dilute peaches in England!