SC - Re: SC- Food for Camping

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Sat Mar 28 17:48:52 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/28/98 5:07:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< I don't think I agree. The relevant question is when the cooking changed,
 which I don't know.  >>

This is true. However, I wonder if the untranslated manuscripts from the 17th
century that I had mnentioned to you privately would bear any light on the
question of when the cooking changed.

IMO, It is very evident from reading extant pre-Ren European recipes, that
Middle Eastern influence over the major population centers was very pronounced
for the entire period of the Crusades.and continued only until new shipping
routes to the Far East stripped the Middle East of it's wealth, power and
influence through loss of trade.

On a side note, I find it rather interesting that the use of saffron was all
but non-existant after the Moors were finally driven from Spain in 1492 C.E.
by Ferdinand's armies.

Given these two rather interesting tidbits, and the observation that many
esxperts place the end of the Middle Ages in the Middle East at 1796 C.E., I
think that untranslated manuscripts  from that exact ending era would, if
nothing else, answer the question of to what degree changes had occured in
Middle Eastern Cookery over the five hundred and seventy year medieval period
since al-Baghdadi (circa 1226 C.E.) was published.

Woould you or anyone know of anyone who would be interested in translating
these documents? Please respond privately to LrdRas at aol.com if you know of
someone who might be willing to do this.

Ras