SC - Garden time

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 08:10:55 PST 1998

On Sunday, March 29, 1998 11:49 PM, Joseph Tolbert
[SMTP:jlt11 at hotmail.com] wrote:
> Just a thought - has anyone else ever had Cincinnati (Ohio,USA)
> style chili ? This is chili, seasoned with cinnamon (originated
> by Greek cooks) served over spaghetti, and topped with beans
> chopped sweet pickle, grated cheddar cheese, chopped RAW ONIONS,
> (and hot sauce available). . .The spice mixes are sold in stores
> in the area.

I have had the experience of being repeatedly treated to Chili on visits
to Cincinnati, for business trips.
My hosts took me to a variety of establishments that served n-"way"
chili's.
Having been raised on the stuff by may father who is rabid for the
stuff, I liked forward to it.
These are the ways I had it in Cinci:

One way - bowl of chili
Two way - chili on spaghetti
Three way - chili on spaghetti covered in about an inch of Dayglo orange
shredded cheese
Four way - chili on spaghetti covered in about an inch of Dayglo orange
shredded cheese with Beans
Five way - chili on spaghetti covered in about an inch of Dayglo orange
shredded cheese with chopped onions and Beans

Cheese "Coney" -  a tiny (about 4 inch) hot dog covered in chili, and
about an inch of Dayglo orange shredded cheese

Their "Chili" is a soupy brown chili consisting of basically meat, with
spices (which are rumored to include Cinnamon, cocoa, coffee, and
sugar!)  I think that they have overthought the chili concept, because
the result is bland, and has neither spice, nor does any flavor stand
out.

I have to add nearly a half bottle of Tobasco to get a decent level of
spiciness. Obviously the other flavors just absorb the first couple of
teaspoons of Tobasco. ( I think that this must mean that Cincinnati
actually is negatively spiced)