SC - OT - OOP -- Cincinnati chili

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Mon Mar 30 09:01:19 PST 1998

***************
Dirnking Coopers Ales . . . I took the bottoms of a couple of
bottles, and added about 1.5 cups of water, enough flour to make a batter

comnsistency and a teaspoon of sugar for good measuer, then kept the
whole lot warm (not hot) for a couple of days.

Then I added more flour, a dribble of oil, some nice tasty herbs, kneaded

it a little, let it rise in a tin in the sun, and put it in the oven.

Presto - beer bread.

Charles Ragnar
********************

Amazing man, you read my mind.  Your post answered a question I was going
to post today.  Over the weekend, my husband bought a version of Red Hook
beer with a German name I don't recall at the moment (hefe something?).
It has active yeast in it and I thought all weekend of how to turn it
into yeast for bread.  This brand had a teaspoon or two of sediment if we
very carefully decanted it.  But Tony insisted the whole point was to
drink the sediment so we only did that for one bottle.   I wasn't sure if
that was enough yeast, but my plan was to stir flour and honey  in a bowl
with the sediment of one bottle (or more likely, the half bottle left
unfinished and whatever sediment was in there.)   Then I would leave it
to ferment overnight and work from that as from a starter.  But it sounds
like your Coopers is more yeasty than this, and you say you used the
remains of several bottles and still  it took days to get to the right
state for bread.  I'll have to re-think in that case.

Anne