SC - Raw onions in Cincinnati Chili Mac

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 30 10:44:44 PST 1998

> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:48:30 PST
> From: "Joseph Tolbert" <jlt11 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Fwd: Re: SC - (Fwd) Onions Eaten Raw
>
> Just a thought - has anyone else ever had Cincinatti (Ohio,USA)
> style chili ? This is chili,seasoned with cinnamon (originated
> by Greek cooks) served over spaghetti,and topped with beans
> chopped sweet pickle,grated cheeddar cheese,chopped RAW ONIONS,
> (and hot sauce available). . .The spice mixes are sold in stores
> in the area.
>
> Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr               jlt6 at hotmail.com

Oh, for shame, that I should live to see the day, that a man named
Tolbert should ever speak such words! I must assume that you are no
relation to the great Frank X. Tolbert, the world's single greatest
authority on chili con carne, and author of "A Bowl Of Red", the seminal
work on the subject. Ah, well, I can only say it's a good thing heresy
isn't dealt with today as it would have been a while back ;  ) .

But seriously, different doesn't mean better or worse, just different.
Cincinnati chili is good stuff, with or without raw onion...it does tend
to be looked at askance in places like Texas, though, but there are more
things in Heaven and Earth, etc...sorry if I went overboard for a bit
there. It just came as a bit of a shock to hear someone named Tolbert
speaking such words. Took me by surprise, is all. I'm fine now.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com