SC - Potluck feasts / was SC-kitchens

Mon Mar 30 12:23:27 PST 1998

> Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> >
> > Since I had to do some baking this weekend, I toyed with the egg and
> pastry
> > dough.
>
> I would recommend instead of stirring the egg and egg yolk into the
> flour,
> cut it in instead. I suspect with the stirring you are probably
>
> Euriol
> Cassandra Baldassano            cassie at nas.nasa.gov

I find that eggs, being liquid, don't cut in as well as a solid shortening.
Stirring in this case is minimal and done with a fork (which might be
considered cutting) to get a faster separation and mix to get to the crumb
state as quickly as possible.  The dough is actually worked less than I
would a standard 3-2-1 pastry dough.

In any event, this is an egg and flour dough without shortening.  The
objective of the exercise is not to make a perfect flakey pie crust, but to
experiment with techniques a medieval cook might have used to improve this
dough without adding shortening or sugar.  This was brought on by
Adamantius' comment that the pie might be made tender by overworking the
gluten until it starts to break down.  I don't think so, but I don't know.
Before I try it, I want more experience with this particular form of pastry,
so every so often, I'll post a pie message and afflict the list.

Thank you for your thoughts and please send any other you have my way.

Bear