SC - Pie Reprise

Mon Mar 30 19:46:30 PST 1998

> But Anne, fear not. I would imagine that if you feed the yeast a bit of
> sugar it will go a lot sooner than if you use a plain flour starter.

Wouldn't hurt.  The active yeast has likely converted all the available
sugar to alcohol and gone dormant.  I would try a teaspoon of sugar in a cup
of water and add the sediment.  Sediment needs to be at room temperature and
the water should be about 30 degrees C, which, if my conversion is correct,
should be about 86 F.  Cover it for an hour or so, then use it.

> Also, as Ras says, I did
> not keep it terribly warm - about 20 degrees C, whereas if I had kept it
> something like 30 it would probably have gone somewhat faster.
>
> Charles Ragnar

For normal bread, 20 degrees C (68 F ?) will extend two rises about 3 hours
maximum.  However, if the yeast is weak, a slightly higher temperature might
have been more productive.

Bear