SC - sc-chicken feet

Joseph Tolbert jlt11 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:58:37 PST 1998

Angelique -

I'm not sure if this is what you want, and it's probably not period, but this
is the recipe I use at Christmas for my Dad's sugared Pecans.

4 cups nuts
1 cup granulated sugar
5 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix everything but the nuts together in a heavy pan and bring to a boil.  I
have a really good 10" skillet that I like to use.  Add the nuts, stir to coat
and spread out on a lightly buttered piece of aluminum foil.  If you want
perfect nuts, you can dip them one at a time and then lay them on the foil
carefully.  Dipping covers fewer nuts, but they're prettier.  If you want a
more middle eastern flavor, replace 2 teaspoons of the water with rose or
orange flower water, use almonds for the nuts and replace the vanilla with
almond extract.  I think that when you use all flavored water, the flavor is
too over-powering, but that's a personal preference.  You can also vary the
spice with nutmeg, mace or allspice for interesting flavor combinations.
Dad's favorite is to replace the vanilla with amaretto and use half nutmeg and
half cinnamon on pecans.  I haven't had any problems using any kind of nuts in
this recipe, up to and including mixed nuts, both with and without peanuts and
with or without salt.  If you want a real kick, add a pinch of ground red
pepper.  It's amazing how good it is with the sweetness of the coating.  Let
me know if you find any other variations that you especially like!!