SC - Gunthar

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Tue Mar 31 15:45:53 PST 1998

Euriol said:

I would recommend instead of stirring the egg and egg yolk into the
flour,
cut it in instead. I suspect with the stirring you are probably
activating
the gluten in the flour which will give you the more rubbery texture
(great
for bread, no so great for pie crusts). Cutting ingredients into the
flour
for a pie crust minimizes the activation of the gluten, then only at end
press it together to form a ball and then roll it out.

Cutting it into the flour???? For us newbie cooks, what does this
mean? What is the differance between cutting it in and stirring it
in? One you use a spoon and one you use a knife? :-)

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous