SC - Period Cooks Unite

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Tue Mar 31 18:59:02 PST 1998

You got it, Stefan. A good part of the differing interpretations of the
poultry pasty Master Adamantius and I translated a couple of weeks ago was
the business about peas. We were talking about pea flour vs. pea-sized
granules of the cut in piecrust.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Euriol said:
:
: I would recommend instead of stirring the egg and egg yolk into the
: flour,
: cut it in instead. I suspect with the stirring you are probably
: activating
: the gluten in the flour which will give you the more rubbery texture
: (great
: for bread, no so great for pie crusts). Cutting ingredients into the
: flour
: for a pie crust minimizes the activation of the gluten, then only at end
: press it together to form a ball and then roll it out.
:
: Cutting it into the flour???? For us newbie cooks, what does this
: mean? What is the differance between cutting it in and stirring it
: in? One you use a spoon and one you use a knife? :-)
:
: Thanks.
:    Stefan li Rous
: